Monday 24 June 2013

So why Israel?

This is hard to pin down.  There are a lot of reasons ranging from religious to cultural to personal with lines blurring between these concepts.  Religiously it's sort of obvious as Israel is the ancient home land of the Jewish people.  However, there is more.  It is where Judaism is the norm.  I use an analogy when describing living in Israel to people.  It goes like this - Living in an area with little Jewish community is like living in the desert.  Living in a place like New York or LA is like living on the beach.  But living is Israel is like being in the water  - it's  a totally immersing experience.

Culturally it is an excellent fit for me as I love the blend of the Old and New, the "Tel Aviv" if you will.  Israel is home to some of most wonderful, ancient ruins of many cultures while being a burgeoning technology center.  I just like driving from Tel Aviv to Haifa and see all the technology companies there.  It reminds me of the Bay Area, where I grew up.  Plus I made Marketing my career and Marketing digitally really is where my heart is.  Contrast that with the timeless streets and monuments all across Israel, in particular Jerusalem, and I find a balance of life, the old fused with the new, that reflects my heart. 

I would to hear your thoughts on it.  Let this be a starting point. 

5 comments:

  1. I like your analogy--total immersion indeed! I just drove a friend from the airport to the Hula Valley today (haven't gotten out of Jerusalem in years so it was sort of a treat for me to get out of town and see the countryside) and it reminded me of just how beautiful this country is! Can hardly wait for you to be here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making alyia is a little like being immersed in the sea, it can be tough sometimes, especially when you are just learning to swim, but oh so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh we know. Don't forget we lived there for a year. I have no fantasies that it's a cake walk. However, anything truly worth having takes some effort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amihai, how do you know the Rifkinds??!! (I see you on FB all the time--I'm Sarah Williams)

    ReplyDelete