Monday 22 July 2013

What's in it for Israel?

To date, I've mostly blogged about what we want out of a life in Israel.

But what does Israel get out of it?  I think it's fair to ask. I don't really expect a phone call from Bibi saying "Nu, what do you bring to the table?" But, all relationships are a two way street.

Sure we'll be a few extra tax dollars, but we're not going to register even a blip in the economy.   I don't think we'll bring everlasting peace where dogs and cats sing Kumbayah while donuts rain from the sky.  But I think we'll be another positive stone in the foundation of something better.  I think Kineret and I, especially her, are good relationship builders.  We like people, we care, we do things for other people.  I think it's natural to both of us.  So, as we make a life in Israel our network will expand, as it has in North America, to all types of people within the Jewish world and outside of it too.  Maybe with enough people spreading themselves outward like this, Israeli born and immigrant alike, a  network of inter-meshing relationships can arise, bringing better communication and understanding.  In our own small way, maybe that's what we offer to Israel.

1 comment: